The Retreat is a reformatory institution maintained by the Women's Christian Association. The building opened in 1874 to save erring women from a life of degradation. Print created from a wood engraving.
This image was digitized from Cleveland illustrated. A pictorial handbook of the Forest city ... together with an account of its most attractive suburbs, by Wm. Payne. For more details see: http://scholar.csuohio.edu/record=b1595212